One of the best ways to protect your overall health is to ensure that you have great oral health. Healthy teeth and gums will not only give you a great smile, but help you to avoid many serious illnesses that can be caused by gum infections and periodontal disease.
You can help protect your oral health with a personal hygiene routine that includes:
- Brushing at least twice a day
- Flossing at least once a day
- Regular visits to your dentist for exams and cleanings
Regular exams and cleanings by Dr. Bowcutt will help ensure that your mouth looks and feels great, and that have a truly healthy smile.
What to Expect at Your Dental Exam
During a comprehensive dental exam, Dr. Bowcutt and his staff will:
- Review your x-rays: identify your current tooth and root positions, look for areas of decay, sources of pain, and identify areas, such as the placement of wisdom teeth, which can cause future problems. The x-rays also help detect tumors, cysts, and bone loss.
- Perform an oral cancer screening: check your face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Evaluate your gums for gum disease: check your gums and bone around the teeth to look for signs of periodontal disease.
- Look for tooth decay: check all tooth surfaces for any signs of cavities and decay. In the event of cavities, regular exams will often help detect them when they are still small and manageable.
- Check on existing restorations: check current crowns, fillings, and other restorative work.
What to Expect During Your Dental Cleaning
During your dental cleaning our registered dental hygienists will:
- Remove calculus: use special dental instruments to remove calculus (tartar) above and below the gum line.
- Remove plaque: clear away sticky, invisible plaque in order to help prevent periodontal disease.
- Polish your teeth: remove any remaining plaque and stains to leave your teeth smooth and clean.
Professional exams and cleanings are an important part of your oral health routine. For the best quality dental care, contact the staff at Bowcutt Dental. Let us help you keep a healthy smile.